On the Tenth Day of OZY ...
WHY YOU SHOULD CARE
To celebrate our fifth birthday, and the holidays, we’re looking back at some of the 700+ times OZY has put you ahead of the curve over the years.
By OZY Editors
OZY just turned 5 — so we’re taking the opportunity to wish ourselves a happy birthday and you a happy holiday season. To celebrate this milestone, we’re taking you through the 12 Days of OZY (with the corresponding number of stories for each day in the run-up to Christmas), telling you why we’re here and sharing examples of the 700+ times we have delivered on our promise to bring you ahead-of-the-curve, provocative and thoughtful news coverage.
OZY co-founders Carlos Watson and Samir Rao — lovers of great storytelling — looked out into the media landscape six years ago and found a stark lack of originality. Legacy outlets were offering similar headlines and failing to thrill curious readers in a way that would excite them about the world around them.
So OZY set off to do just that — and, to this day, feeds the minds of curious readers by offering them new takes on the exciting and surprising world around them, near and far. For your chance to win an OZY birthday gift — everything from hoodies and water bottles to tickets to next summer’s OZY Fest in NYC — please tell us how we’re doing by taking this survey (in the line asking for your email, mention “birthday” for a chance to win OZY prizes). And come back for Day 11.
No. 10: Hot New Health Tips
On the tenth day of OZY, we proudly help you revisit nine hot health tips and trends that we’ve highlighted before other outlets:
- Meet the doctor who delivered the world’s first three-person baby. John Zhang used a version of the procedure known as mitochondrial replacement therapy.
- Unraveling the link between nutrition and mental health. Recent research suggests that eating right might stave off more than heart disease and diabetes; it could prevent mental illness and even treat it.
- Whether we’re supersizing or buying in bulk, we usually assume that bigger is, if not better, at least more efficient. But the opposite seems to hold true when it comes to medical care. Find out whether hospitals should be the center of health care delivery.
- Call it the no-touch approach to medicine. It’s the little-heralded reason that a hospital in Nebraska, of all places, has emerged as a leader in the stateside fight against Ebola.
- Stress can send your stomach into a painful tailspin, causing cramps, spasms and grumbling. But trouble in the gut can also affect the brain. Check out the autism-gut connection.
- Researchers want to make sobriety more attainable — with vaccines.
- Over the last decade, several dozen premature lambs have been incubated in external wombs — devices that aim to buy preemies some extra time for lung development.
- Transgender community members are finding new and innovative ways to get the treatment they need.
- Herpes is on the rise. But scientists are working on a vaccine, both at medical schools and at biotech firms.
- Dope grannies know how to treat themselves. These women are cannabis evangelists.
Why You Should Care: Because we wish you a happy, healthy 2019.
- OZY Editors, OZY Author Contact OZY Editors